You can spread the cost of our course with Interest Free Credit on selected courses**.
£450Amount of credit
£18.7524 monthly payments of
This is exclusively available for a limited time by calling us on 01409 220 799.
Regent Academy of Fine Arts Limited is registered in England no. 2502592. Lyne Akres, Brandis Corner, Devon, EX22 7YH. Regent Academy is a trading name of Regent Academy of Fine Arts Limited. Regent Academy is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, register number 774449 and acts as a credit broker and offers finance through the Deko platform, which is provided by Omni Capital Retail Finance Ltd. Omni Capital Retail Finance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Reference number 720279. Credit is provided to UK residents with a UK bank account, subject to age and status.
Everything you need for taking brilliant photographs
Our photography course is suitable for beginners and will give you the knowledge and practical skills to capture stunning images from life or become a professional photographer.
You will learn from experts how to handle your camera; achieve a perfect composition; use lighting techniques; the technical skills to achieve professional-quality photos (e.g. using aperture, exposure and filters correctly); how to take photos in a studio and on location – including landscapes, portraits and reportage styles; using digital post-production and presenting images for the maximum impact. As a bonus, you will also learn how to work as a successful freelance photographer and make money from your photographs.
- Get the most from your passion for photography – capture superb photographs of family, friends, places you visit, experiences you have, and more; or become a freelance photographer taking photographs of weddings, portraits, products, events, and more.
- Learn from quality course materials created by experts and receive excellent tutor support – to help you achieve your goals.
- Become a freelance photographer – depending on experience and workload, you can earn between £150 and £600 a day1.
- Eliminate the demoralising, time-wasting and expensive mistakes of trial and error that many untrained photographers endure.
- Successful learners are awarded the Regent Academy Diploma and the ABC Level 3 Certificate of Achievement*.
- No previous experience or artistic skills are required to enrol on this course.
How the course works
Your first course materials will be sent to you when you enrol so you can start as soon as you want. You can then enjoy your course at your own pace, studying when it suits you and where it’s most comfortable. This gives you the freedom to learn around your existing job, family or other commitments or location (including overseas).
Course materials have been developed by experts and are clear and straightforward so your studying is easy and enjoyable.
All coursework assignments are included within your course. As you complete each assignment, simply send it to your tutor who will mark and return it along with valuable constructive feedback to help progress your skills further. (You can also contact your tutor or the support team for help at any point during your studies.) The remaining course materials will be sent to you as each assignment is completed.
After successfully completing all your assignments, you will be awarded the Regent Academy Diploma and the ABC Level 3 Certificate of Achievement*
We are proud of our friendly, caring ethos and aim to do all we can to help you succeed.
Our tutors are all experienced, qualified and passionate about sharing their love of their subject. You can phone or email your tutor throughout the course – to ask questions, for advice, encouragement or to draw on their wealth of knowledge.
You can also receive help from our student support team from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
What you will learn
- Become a freelance photographer or take professional pictures for pleasure
Lesson 1 - The Background to Photography
- Why take photographs?
- Looking at the work of other photographers
- Are photographs ‘art’?
- A brief history of early photography
Lesson 2 - Professional Photographers’ Equipment
- How a camera works
- Camera types
- How much should I spend on a camera?
- Choosing film
- Looking after your equipment
Lesson 3 - The Fundamental Camera Skills for a Freelance Photographer
- Holding your camera
- Pressing the shutter release button
- Handling film
- Using the viewfinder
- Seeing the results
Lesson 4 - Composition and Landscape Photography
- Looking at paintings
- Framing up
- Composing with your camera’s viewfinder
- Viewpoints and camera angles
- Focal points
- Pattern and texture
- Get close to your subject
- Landscape photography
- Composition checklist
Lesson 5 - Lighting, Studio Work and Portrait Photography
- Photographing in available light
- Atmospheric conditions
- Taking portraits
- Coping with different kinds of light
- Shooting using flash
- Studio lighting
- Lighting terminology
- Portrait set-ups using studio flash
- Backgrounds for portraits
- Lighting and mood
Lesson 6 - The Technical Aspects to Achieve High Quality Photographs
- Shutter speeds
- Depth of field
- Tilt and shift (aka perspective control) lenses
- Exposure meters
- The Zone System, pre-visualization and exposure
- Types of cameras
Lesson 7 - Location and Reportage Photography
- What to take on location
- Do some research before you go
- Taking care of your equipment on location
- Travel photography
Lesson 8 - The Processing of your Analogue Photographic Images
- Special mini-lab services
- Using a professional lab
- Pushing and pulling film
- Producing your own images in a darkroom
Lesson 9 - Working with Digital Photographs – from the Shot to the Result
- Manipulating images
- The digital workflow sequence
- Why shoot RAW?
- Edits in Photoshop are ‘destructive’
- Tough decisions early on will prevent editing overload
- Single or multiple catalogue workflow?
- File naming
- Using metadata
- Using Adobe Lightroom, Bridge and/ or Camera Raw Converter
Lesson 10 - Digital Post-production for your Photographs
- Colour spaces and colour modes for image editing
- The main tools within Photoshop
- Understanding bit depth
- High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- Smart Objects
- Cleaning and retouching images
- Cropping and resizing images
- Photoshop’s image adjustments
- Layer masks
- Compositing images
- Preparing and saving your images for different uses
Lesson 11 - Storing and Exhibiting your Work
- Storing negatives and transparencies
- Storing digital images
- Framing and displaying
- Entering competitions
- Contemporary methods of presenting images
Lesson 12 - Working as a Qualified Freelance Photographer
- How to make money from your photographs
- Photographing special occasions
- Taking portraits
- Getting your work into newspapers, magazines and books
- Pricing, keeping accounts and records, getting paid
- The law and the photographer
- A final exercise
- You’ve finished the course!
You are free to study when it suits you and your progress may therefore depend upon how much time you would like to commit to study. Many students are able to complete this course in approximately 6-8 months*.
* Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
Regent Academy Diploma
You will receive the Regent Academy Diploma when you successfully complete this course. With Regent Academy’s reputation this can be a highly sought-after addition to your CV and, alongside your coursework portfolio, powerfully showcasing your skills to prospective employers or potential clients.
ABC Level 3 Certificate of Achievement
You will also be awarded the ABC Level 3 Certificate of Achievement* when you complete this course.
This is a valuable vocational qualification demonstrating that you have completed a validated training course at a recognised level of study.
ABC Awards is an Awarding Organisation recognised by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), the government body which regulates qualifications and assessments in England.
To receive the ABC Certificate, simply call us and pay the ABC registration fee*. You do not need to complete any more assignments or coursework.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will become a qualified photographer and could start a career in one or more of the following fascinating areas:
- Wedding photography
- Special occasions photography
- Birthday parties
- Social portraiture
- Corporate images
- Event photography
- Stock photography (images that people or companies purchase for their own use, which could then appear in newspapers, company brochures or adverts)
- You could also enter competitions
You do not need any previous knowledge, experience or artistic skills to enrol on this course.
All you need is a simple digital camera and computer editing software (which you may be able to obtain for free). Expensive equipment is not required. As you progress through your course you can acquire equipment, accessories and software which meet your needs.
Enrol now from £95 £55
There are two ways you can enrol on this course. You can:
- Pay a one-off £545 £505 (nothing else to pay*) and also receive a special Gift from our selection – free.
- Pay with a deposit of just £95 £55, followed by 10 instalments of £45*
To enrol by phone, please call our friendly course advisors on Freephone 0800 378 281.