You can spread the cost of our course with Interest Free Credit on selected courses**.
£540Amount of credit
£22.5024 monthly payments of
This is exclusively available for a limited time by calling us on 01409 220 799.
Regent Academy of Fine Arts Limited is registered in England no. 2502592. Lyne Akres, Brandis Corner, Devon, EX22 7YH. Regent Academy is a trading name of Regent Academy of Fine Arts Limited. Regent Academy is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, register number 774449 and acts as a credit broker and offers finance through the Deko platform, which is provided by Omni Capital Retail Finance Ltd. Omni Capital Retail Finance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Reference number 720279. Credit is provided to UK residents with a UK bank account, subject to age and status.
Everything you need to develop your skills in fashion
Our Fashion Design and Dressmaking - Course 1 is suitable for beginners and will give you the knowledge and practical skills to add essential fashion items to numerous garments.
You will discover how to use a range of patterns and different stitching techniques; make seams and include closings and fastenings such as zips and buttons in your garments. You will then learn how to make fashion essentials including sleeves, collars, cuffs, pockets, waistbands and hems. You will also discover what suits you and how to plan a wardrobe. As a bonus, you will learn about collections and fashion photography to help you take your passion for fashion further.
- Get the most from your passion for fashion – learn about stitching, zips, buttons, collars, sleeves, accessories and much more.
- Learn from quality course materials created by experts and receive excellent tutor support – to help you achieve your goals.
- Eliminate the demoralising, time-wasting and expensive mistakes of trial and error.
- Successful learners are awarded the Regent Academy Diploma and may be able to progress to the City & Guilds Fashion Wear Certificate (7716-32) formal qualification*.
- No previous experience or artistic skills are required to enrol on this course.
How the course works
Your first course materials will be sent to you when you enrol so you can start as soon as you want. You can then enjoy your course at your own pace, studying when it suits you and where it’s most comfortable. This gives you the freedom to learn around your existing job, family or other commitments or location (including overseas).
Course materials have been developed by experts and are clear and straightforward so your studying is easy and enjoyable.
All coursework assignments are included within your course. As you complete each assignment, simply send it to your tutor who will mark and return it along with valuable constructive feedback to help progress your skills further. (You can also contact your tutor or the support team for help at any point during your studies.) The remaining course materials will be sent to you as your assignments are completed.
After successfully completing all your assignments, you will be awarded the Regent Academy Diploma and may be able to progress to the City & Guilds Fashion Wear Certificate (7716-32) formal qualification*.
We are proud of our friendly, caring ethos and aim to do all we can to help you succeed.
Our tutors are all experienced, qualified and passionate about sharing their love of their subject. You can phone or email your tutor throughout the course – to ask questions, for advice, encouragement or to draw on their wealth of knowledge.
You can also receive help from our student support team from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
What you will learn
Lesson 1 - Fashion Awareness I - The Individual
- Line and Proportion
- Figure Analysis - Measuring the Body
- Colour Analysis - Fabric Groups
Lesson 2 - Fashion Awareness II - The Wider Picture
- Budget Ranges
- Middle-of-the-road Ranges
- Expensive Ranges
- Working from a Template
- Use of Different Media
- Use of Colour
Lesson 3 - Patterns
- Garment Patterns
- Commercial Patterns
- Trace Patterns
- Original Patterns
- Understanding Pattern Information
- Choosing your own Pattern
- Basic Alterations
Lesson 4 - Tools and Equipment
Lesson 5 - Fibres in Common Use
Lesson 6 - Fashion Fabrics
- Plain Weave
- Marking Up - Hand Stitching
- Running Stitching
- Tacking Stitch (Baste)
- Invisible Stitching
- Back Stitch / Top Stitching
- Slip Stitch / Fly Stitch
- Blanket Stitch / Buttonhole Stitch
- Herringbone Stitch
Lesson 7 -Seams
- Open Seam
- Open Seam with Zig Zag, 3 Step Zig Zag, Clean Finish
- Bias Bound/Hong Kong Finish
- French Seam
- Welt / Fell Seam
- Pressing Seams
Lesson 8 - Shaping and Controlling Fullness
- Disposing of Fullness
- Machine Gathers
Lesson 9 - Closings and Fastenings
- Semi Concealed
- Concealed Zip
- Button Holes
- Press Studs
- Hook and Bar/Hook and Eye
Lesson 10 - Pockets
- Unlined Pockets
- Lined Patch Pockets
- Pocket Bag in a Seam
Lesson 11 - Facings
Lesson 12 - Sleeves
- Set-in Sleeve
- Set-Sleeves with a Gathered Sleeve Head
Lesson 13 - Collars
- Shirt Collars
- Flat Collars
- Mandarin Collars
Lesson 14 - Cuffs and Openings
- Straight Cuff
- Simple Sleeve Opening
- Continuous Band Cuff
Lesson 15 - Waistbands
Lesson 16 - Hems
- Clean Finished Hems
- Double Stitched Hem
- Zig-zag Hem
- Tailor’s Hem
Lesson 17 - Fashion Awareness III - What suits you?
- Hair and Make-up
Lesson 18 - Fashion Awareness IV - Planning a wardrobe
- Start with what you have
- What do you need?
- Shopping for New
- Timeless Classics
- Adapting Old Clothes
Lesson 19 - Accessories
Lesson 20 - British Fashion in the 20th Century
Lesson 21 - How Designers Work
- Designing a Collection
- Producing a Collection
- The Collections
Lesson 22 - Fashion Photography
- Setting up a Fashion Shoot
- The Role of the Editor/Stylist
- The Role of the Photographer
- The Role of the Hair and Make-Up Artists
- The Role of the Model
You are free to study when it suits you and your progress may therefore depend upon how much time you would like to commit to study. Many students are able to complete this course in approximately 6-10 months*.
* Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
Regent Academy Diploma
You will receive the Regent Academy Diploma when you successfully complete this course. With Regent Academy’s reputation this can be a highly sought-after addition to your CV and alongside your portfolio of coursework, powerfully showcasing your skills to prospective employers.
City & Guilds Fashion Wear 7716-32
If you achieve a Merit or higher on this course, you can also register and progress towards the City & Guilds Fashion Wear 7716-32*.
Upon successful completion, you can add this qualification to your CV demonstrating to prospective employers that you have a recognised qualification.
If you would like to register for the City & Guilds certificate, simply call us. You will then need to complete additional assignments and garments.
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will be able to add essential fashion items to your garments, including:
- Plus much more.
You do not need any previous knowledge, experience or artistic skills to enrol on this course.
Enrol now from £55
There are 6 ways to enrol on this course:
- Pay the total course fee of £345* in one sum and also receive a special gift from our selection - free.
- Pay a deposit of just £55*, followed by 10 instalments of £29
- Pay a deposit of just £55*, followed by 24 instalments of £12.09** using Interest Free Credit (exclusively available by calling us on 01409 220 799)
Enrol on both our Successful Fashion Design & Dressmaking Course 1 and Successful Fashion Design & Dressmaking Course 2 courses at the same time and save £145
There are 3 ways to enrol:
- Pay the total course fees of £595* in one sum and also receive a special gift from our selection - free.
- Pay a deposit of just £55*, followed by 12 instalments of £45
- Pay a deposit of just £55*, followed by 24 instalments of £22.50** using Interest Free Credit (exclusively available by calling us on 01409 220 799)